Thursday, February 19, 2015

Blog Entry #4-Getting the Crazy Out

One thing that I find theatre and film artists need to be aware of is triangulation. In my time involved in the arts, this is one thing that I feel as though I have seen a lot of. Because of the fact that we are so close-knit as a group, I think oftentimes people are afraid to confront individuals about issues because they would rather avoid the conflict. They are frightened of “burning the bridge” so to speak. But more often then not, I think this backfires, because as a result it will pull in more people than necessary, and probably make the triangulator look unprofessional. A problem often snowballs into something bigger than it needs to be, because the person involved in the issue doesn’t want to talk to the person face to face. A lot of times I think this is either because the person is nervous about breaking a professional connection, but even more often I think it’s that the person is nervous to offend a friend. Especially in our department, everyone is so close and knows each other extremely well, so it lends itself to triangulation. Students don’t want to offend their friends, but make what is often a small issue into something bigger by telling a handful of people.

To forestall and tamp down disruption by crazymakers, I think the best thing to do is stay honest, and if you have a conflict address it with someone directly. Bringing in five of your closest friends to the issue just turns it into a petty drama that could have been avoided. By talking to the person that you have an issue with directly, it fixes the issue and doesn’t allow it to continue to grow and take a life of it’s own. Additionally, and I know this is something we discussed in class, if you get pulled into a situation, let it die with you. Being a person that ends the drama as opposed to pushing it forward can help detract from the disruption it would potentially cause.

A lot of times I feel like I am a person that people come to in order to talk about their lives slash lament about their issues. I try to focus on that particular person, and what they can do to remedy the situation as opposed to blaming it on an external factor. I try to tune into that person emotionally, and look for what they can do to make the situation better. I try to empathize with their feelings and help them figure out why they feel that way, so that they can take the appropriate and mature action to solve what ever issue they may be experiencing. Making it about them instead of all the others they are blaming it on keeps it between you two instead of involving others. I also think it helps if you maintain the rule that you don’t say anything you wouldn’t say in front of that person. Talking trash only furthers the situation. I try and will continue to try to stay honest and genuine, so that I always know where I stand with with people. People that adapt that mentality and stick to it do a good job of extracting the crazy from the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment