One instance that stands out for me
in particular is when I got wait-listed for the musical theatre program at
Emerson University. Throughout high school I was very invested in musical
theatre, and worked very hard on my college audition material. I had worked on
the monologues with various trusted individuals, and worked with my voice
teachers on the songs. I recall feeling confident at the audition, and happy
with how my material turned out. At the audition, they workshopped the material
with me and complemented the way I received notes. When I opened the letter
saying that I was waitlisted, I remember being more devastated than I had been
at the rejections. With a rejection, I could equate the rejection to many
different things-maybe they didn’t need another brunette, or wanted to
diversify the program, or needed more guys than girls. But I really struggled
with the wait-list letter because to me it said, “We liked your work, but not
quite enough to get in initially.” I remember feeling like I didn’t know what
more I could’ve possibly done in the audition. At the same time, it gave me
hope. It made me want to work that much harder on my acting and singing, so
that maybe next time I would make the cut. Although it was difficult feeling
like I wasn’t good enough initially, I think it has really kept me motivated in
college, remembering that feeling. Additionally, the career path I have chosen
for myself involves a lot of rejection, so I think it was good that I had to
start dealing with it early, because now I make a concerted effort not to take
it personally if I don’t get a role that I am passionate about.
My biggest note to underclassmen
would be about receiving feedback. Above everything else, I would say to really
open yourself up to it. You are going to receive way more rejections than
acceptances (in terms of acting) and so I think it is really important in this
collegiate setting to ask for feedback after callbacks and auditions. In the
university setting, directors are always more than welcome to give notes from
callbacks and auditions. Learning what was successful and what wasn’t can
really help you in future audition situations. However, if you don’t take the
time to ask, they aren’t going to find you. I think just making oneself open to
criticism is one of the best things we can do for ourselves as artists.
Obviously this does open yourself up to a space where you could get negative
feedback, but that is such a useful thing, to hear what you are doing that
doesn’t work.
No comments:
Post a Comment