Sunday, March 8, 2015

Blog Entry #7-Synchronicity


Throughout my time at LSU, I’ve been focused on developing myself as an actor. I’ve also developed an interest in costume design, but it wasn’t until this year that film emerged in my life. I decided to take film production one on a whim, because I thought since I was acting for the camera it would behoove me to learn about the behind the scenes aspect of filmmaking as well. Little did I know it would be paramount to getting through my senior year. My first short film shoot coincided with my first serious breakup. I was extremely passionate about this film, and having it to come back to during my first semester really pulled me out of a rough point in my life. After coming back from Sundance, I was struggling to acclimate myself to the college life again. My second short film shoot, which took place this past weekend, has served a similar purpose as the first one. It’s given me a new medium of art to be excited about, and has filled me with so much life and joy. I almost didn’t attend school this semester because of the low-point that I hit last semester, and I know that being passionate about film making and wanting to continue to develop that craft is part of the reason I wanted to stick with it and come back. I think it was a godsend. It has been a savior. It is so gratifying to see every skill that I’ve developed over the past year-acting, directing, designing, taking film class-come into play while I direct on a film set. I was in the car with my sister on the way back to my house after we finished shooting crying tears of joy. It’s been a cathartic experience for me that has really helped remind me why I love creating art so much. I think when moments like this happen, it is important to be grateful. The first time it happened I think part of me thought it was a fluke, and I was mostly just happy that the first shoot happened when it did. After experiencing the same feelings from my second shoot, I have faith in the fact that this art form is just something that is going to continue to be a rock for me in my life. Give thanks, and let them take you into a space of comfort for the future. My love for filmmaking arose at a low point in my life and helped keep me afloat, and there is no doubt in my mind that it will continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment